Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I have just discovered breaks

For the longest time i would turn my nose up at any music genre that was missing a 4 on the floor beat. I couldn't stand the awful non melodic underground dubstep that was being played at the clubs, and thankfully even though it looks like dubstep is finally fading away, unfortunately now it seems everyone who got into EDM through the dubstep bandwagon a couple years ago has now migrated over to this electronic trap music, which is nothing more than the chopped vocal samples, snare rolls and the 2/4 beat from dirty south hip-hop mixed with electronic synths that will make any white boy on  bath salts feel crunk.  I absolutely hate this part of the EDM scene.

Before i was even ten years old i was listening to "Alice Deejay", "Haddaway"  and other tracks from "Now thats what i call club music vol 2" due to my father playing this in the Jeep. Then when i was a teenager I would hear the mainstream tracks such as "Zombie Nation" by Kernkraft 400 or "Blue" by Eiffel 65, I believe i even heard the Prodigy and Crystal Method at this time but electronic music was very rare in the redneck town i grew up in. It wasnt until high school when i learned that my plaid shirt and jeans from TJ maxx werent exactly making me any more popular and I learned that the cool kids shopped at this store called Abercrombie and Fitch. So one day my freshman year of highschool my mom and I made the hour long drive to the closest mall, as I approached the store I could hear this kick drum beating at a 4/4 beat  from a couple stores away, then when I entered the store is when my love of electronic music took hold. "What is this? I love it" I thought to my self as the beautiful chord progressions, the epic big room build ups and that pounding kick drum at 128 BPM of Progressive House filled my ears for the first time in my life. As soon as i returned home from the store I went straight to searching for what i had just heard, this is where it all started.  I admit I did give dubstep a try and even liked it for short time, but it wasn't until I heard a big room house set by DJ LOS  in a local club here in atlanta that sealed my love of House music and that steady 4/4 beat and made me disregard anything else such as dubstep, drum n bass etc.

Just recently i have rediscovered breakbeats. Whenever i used to hear the term breaks I thought it was some sort of old school hip hop music,   not knowing that the prodigy and crystal method I heard back in my teenage years were actually breakbeats, but the Breaks of today is different. It uses these electro bass synths and heavy modulated bass and its still a 4/4 beat like house so it has that high energy dance feel to it, but the kick drum isn't hitting on every quarter note making it sound less repetitive than house music.

No comments:

Post a Comment